Home Page
Products Page
Ebooks Page
Reviews Page
Services Page
Foundry Page
CNC Page
About Me Page
Email Contact Page




Discover DraftSight: Free CAD Software.


Part #2 of building my
Deep Throat Furnace.


Well like all shop tools/equipment things
break and this time it was a biggie!





My big 7HP 60 gallon upright compressor over heated and blew the pressure sensor line, (Not once, but 3 times), so it's been about two weeks for parts and repairs, but I think (hope) it's fixed now.



I did manage to weld on several reinforcing plates and the support bands. I also made the hinge/pivot bars for the top.

I still have to work out the pivot support arms and how wide and high the reinforcing plate would have to be, also how heavy a gauge it should be to prevent the tank body from flexing when I'm pouring. Right now I'm thinking along the lines of 12 gauge and 3/4 black pipe for the pivot arms.

Well I'm back, (kind-a... sort-a), the compressor repair lasted right to the end of this work session, then blew that line as well.


Here's some pics. of the reinforcement banding and the other support plates.




Those three vertical welds is were I first took my air saw and cut slots then welded thru it. This really stiffens it up. This is the front of the dome/lid and the two outside welds are where the pivot arms will be welded. Then of course you need to add the bent nails to hold in the refractory.





Next I took 12 gauge about 6" by 5" and hammer formed them to the side of the tank, then I was going to use 3/4" black pipe for the pivot arms, but I didn't have any shorts laying around so I opted for a couple of pieces of 1" instead.... YEAH I KNOW!!! OVER KILL!!! but that's all I had.

I don't know if you can see it, but the pivot point is at 10-1/2" up and 1-1/4" forward of center. This is to keep the weight to the back so there's no possibility of tilting when you're lifting the lid and working inside.












FINALLY; after fighting with those pivot tubes for at least an hour and a half -- (either one was to high or it move when I tacked it, or it was cocked so much I had to break it off and retack it for the fiftyth time) --- "GOT IT!!" It's close enough for who it's for... ME!


Next was welding the dome/lid to the front pivot arms.

Then it was just a matter of cutting/bracing the arms and welding them in place to their mounting plates.








There she is... 16-1/2" to the top of the tank body. I'm still think about adding a latching strap of some kind to lock the lid to the tank during the pour.


Now that everything is ready --- I have to wait for another pay check to afford the 55 lb. bag of refractory. It's not the cost of the refractory that hurts it the $65.00 shipping charges.



And Now it's on to Part #3
(Making the molds and packing in the refractory )



   Back to Part #1

   Back to the Foundry Page









comments powered by Disqus