Foundry Tool List
The lawyer's version of CYA!
WARNING!!!: You got a brain... USE IT! Building and working with a foundry furnace is "NOT" child's play. It can be very dangerous and if 'you' screw-up don't come crying back to me! If you don't know what you're doing and didn't take the time to read and study all the safety procedures that are available on the net, and you get hurt that's 'your' problem. You are responsible for yourself and your own actions and safety.
--- "NOT ME!" ---
Doing my research on the net, I've found 100's of furnace designs. Some were just fire brick stacked into a circle on a steel rack another was nothing more than refractory jammed into nothing more than a cut in half milk jug. :-(
I can say without a doubt I've LEARNED A LOT!!! Of what NOT to do and things I FORGOT to do, and some things I SHOULD HAVE DONE, so if you try to do this understand right off that this is a learning process and you WILL make mistakes.
I'm working on getting all the pictures taken and edited.
So here's my list of handy tools you will be needing; see which one works the best for you.
Tool List mainly for Lost Foam casters
- Galvanized Buckets/Pails from 1 gal. to 25 gallons
(these will be your flasks - round/rectangle/square -- it's up to you.)
- A large Sieve/fine screen over a wood frame 16"x 16"x 4" is a
good size or you could take that big one from the kitchen, just
but don't let the 'boss' find out.)
- Big SS Spoon on a long handle (The one with holes in it.)
- SS Tube with cross holes in the end for degassing.
- Long handle Thongs
- Long stemmed lighter or sparker
- 2 - Large Galvanized Garbage Pails (30 to 55 gallon with a tight lid)
- 1 or 2 Large Cupcake Pans (Plain Steel only)
- Hot Glue Gun
- Exacto Knives
- Straight Edge Rules (6" - 12" - 36")
More Tools needed for working with GreenSand
and hardwood/permanent (reusable) type patterns
- An assortment of Flasks ranging from 4"x 4"x 3" to 36"x 36"x 6"
(In Pairs - drag and cope)
- A Rammer (Which you can cast yourself)
- A striker (I use a 3' heavy alum. ruler)
- 3/4" to 1-1/2" Copper tubes to cut feeders/risers
with one end sharpened. (about 12" long)
- An assortment of Palette Knifes/trowels/small spoons
- An assortment of Small soft brushes (1/2" to 1-1/2")
- An old sock
- 2 More Garbage Cans (to hold your 'GreenSand' - new/used)
- Crucible lifter (from furnace)
- Crucible pouring Handle
- Several heavy bricks to hold down your flasks
- A Sand Muller or a very strong back. (Expensive to buy - make your own)
- Low Pressure Regulator and blow nozzle.
Personal Safety Equipment
- Face Shield
- Safety Glasses
- Heavy Welding Gloves
- Welders Jacket
- Welding Apron
- Heavy Work Boots
- Boot Covers
Back to the Foundry Page